Sunday, March 17, 2013

Oh, Danny Boy

"Danny Boy" Sitting on Great-Grandpa Monie's Lap
circa early 1960's
 
Who is my favorite Irish-American?  That is an easy question...of course it would be my Scotch-Irish Great-Grandma Mae!  She was feisty, loving, loyal, temperamental, a great cook, and sometimes vulgar!  She loved my name because it would give her an excuse to sing "Danny Boy".  The words to "Danny Boy" were written by an English lawyer and songwriter Frederic Weatherly (who never even visited Ireland) in 1910.  In 1913, he modified the lyrics of "Danny Boy" to fit the melody of "Londonderry Air"...a popular Irish folk tune.  "Danny Boy" is considered to be the unofficial song and "national anthem" of the Irish who immigrated to Canada and America.  I can still hear her singing it from many decades ago...

 
Joan Baez sings "Danny Boy" (2:26)

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flow'rs are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh, Danny boy, oh, Danny boy, I love you so.
 
 
 
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment