Thursday, September 4, 2014

Why Are We Here?

I said "nothing"...but, I meant "Killing the Jellyfish!"

At the start of a new school year, I try to explain to my students why it is vitally important to take a United States History class...and the "correct" answer is not "because its the law", "I need this credit/ grade", etc.



Here are the three reasons we discussed:

1. To explore United States History Content (1800-present) through lecture, discussion, video clips, primary sources, etc.

2. To develop "Critical Thinking" Skills (CTS) or "Reading Your World" and we ask the question..."Why did this happen?"

The tools we use to think deeply about the content are:

A Common Lens
The Big Umbrella
The Jellyfish Theory
Analyzing Truth v. Myth
Analyzing Positive/ Convenient Memory

3. To develop a "Critical Consciousness" or "Talking Back to Your World." This step requires a person to take their CTS and convert it into ACTION!

This action may involve:

Being a part of a grassroots movement
Peaceful Protest, Boycotts, etc.
Being a "active" citizen, parent (future), voter, etc.
Standing up for justice, equity, etc.
KILLING JELLYFISH

I truly hope my students take their responsibilities seriously!


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment