Thursday, November 5, 2015

What is Africa?

 Dr. William Edward Burghardt DuBois
1868-1963

One of the greatest thinkers of the 20th Century, W.E.B. DuBois, was a master at posing and answering difficult questions.  He once asked (here is an excerpt) an interesting question as he pondered his humanity:

"As I turn to the east and face Africa I ask myself...What is Africa?  What is it between us that constitutes a tie which I can feel better than I can explain?"




I will leave it up to the reader of this post to dig into his answer (which I believe hints at unity, common history, social heritage, oppression/ exploitation/ violence, discrimination, segregation, insult, and systematic racism) to this question...

I am here suggesting additional questions to ponder:

What is Mexico?

What is Tibet?

What is Vietnam?

What is Nigeria?

What is El Salvador?

In other words, what is your "home" which you have no more to you?  Can this (America) be home?

I want to know your history...

I want to understand your pain...

I want to develop empathy...

I want to "stand in" your pride...

I want to know your message to the world...

I want to build this home together...




But, how could I do this by building a wall?


                                

No comments:

Post a Comment